Thursday, December 22, 2011

Merry Christmas, Especially To You Atheists


Many of you have likely heard about how there was a series of widespread unofficial ceasefires that took place around Christmas of 1914 during World War I.  Apparently, during the week leading up to Christmas, parties of German and British soldiers began to exchange seasonal greetings and songs between their trenches; on occasion, the tension was reduced to the point that individuals would walk across to talk to their opposite numbers bearing gifts. It is said that on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, many soldiers from both sides – as well as, to a lesser degree, from French units – independently ventured into "no man's land", where they mingled, exchanging food and souvenirs. In some places it became so friendly that the troops played soccer against each other.

Sometimes on this blog, for understandable reasons, the rhetoric is the World War I equivalent.  I, for one, am calling a truce for the Christmas Season. I wish all of you, especially my atheist friends, a very Merry Christmas!

Oh, and one more thing. Most weeks I “participate” in an online church service.  It is held at http://campus.316networks.com/crosspoint.tv.  By participate I simply mean that I attend, although there is a “chat” aspect that I also do.  The people at Cross Point are authentic and, as far as I am concerned, represent what the Church should look like. Sometimes people who do not attend church will attend church on Christmas.  If you would like to check it out this Christmas in a very non-threatening way, it would be great.   The online service is December 23rd at 5 P.M. Central time.  Would love it if you stopped by.

Again, to get back to the original theme of this post, I wish all you, especially you atheists, a very Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment